The judge set out the timeline while rejecting two defense challenges that he was unqualified and should suspend the proceedings until he was up to speed.
Twenty years after the attacks, the United States is still grappling with the consequences of brutal interrogations carried out in the name of national security.
Days ahead of the 20th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, the five men accused of plotting them returned to court after a long shutdown, only to have the hearing quickly recessed.
The withdrawal from Afghanistan is a final step in the transformation of American warfare into something sanitized and edited out of view.
The men were brought to court for the first time 18 years after their capture and after a one-day delay because of translation challenges at the war court.
The three prisoners were to be charged for the first time, 18 years after their capture. Translation problems mean they wait one more day.
Col. Matthew McCall had been chosen for the high-profile job in 2020 but had not yet served for two years as a military judge, a prerequisite for a judge at Guantánamo.
“Don’t Forget Us Here,” by Mansoor Adayfi with Antonio Aiello, is the memoir of a Yemeni man who claims he was kidnapped in Afghanistan, sold to the C.I.A. and sent to the detention camp in a case of mistaken identity.
The prosecutors’ use of information from a brutal interrogation had troubled Biden administration lawyers and was a source of tension with the chief prosecutor at Guantánamo Bay, who will retire soon.
The decision brings to 11 the number who have been approved to be sent elsewhere, but the Biden administration has yet to name a point person to negotiate transfers with other governments.
Defense lawyers said it was the first publicly known time that prosecutors had been allowed to use information gained from torture in the proceedings at Guantánamo Bay.
The men, none of whom were ever charged, would be sent to countries that agree to impose security conditions on them. But it is not clear where they will go or when.
Under a deal with the military court, Majid Khan, who has admitted being a courier for Al Qaeda, will give up his chance to call witnesses to his torture in return for being released as soon as next year.
In the first Guantánamo habeas corpus case under the Biden administration, the government said U.S. forces’ withdrawal from Afghanistan did not erode its detention authority.
The justices may get a chance to redeem the court’s own failed promises.
It is hugely expensive and a stain on the country.
A Guantánamo detainee is seeking information from two former government contractors in connection with a Polish criminal inquiry into a facility there.
The legal basis for indefinite detention at Guantánamo is to prevent combatants from returning to the battlefield. But what if their old battlefield is no more?
The plan, initiated during the Trump administration, had been delayed after a political and public outcry.
The move, which took place in a secret operation over the weekend, was conceived during the Trump administration to save on costs and troops at the remote base in Cuba.
Starting with the Bush administration, the United States has gradually transferred all but two of the first 20 prisoners at the wartime detention facility to other nations. Here’s who, and where, they are.
A White House announcement was short on details, and key players have yet to be assigned policy positions in the new administration.
A military judge who was to travel to Guantánamo Bay this week ruled that the health risks the base posed were reason enough to delay the arraignments of three prisoners.
The decision to vaccinate the prisoners ignited criticism over whether the government was prioritizing terrorism suspects over American citizens.
The case was dormant throughout the Trump administration, and then a military official suddenly approved it as the first new case at Guantánamo since 2014.
In his final days in office before a new administration takes over, Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy changed a regulation to sidestep court rulings requiring the medical examination.
The coronavirus crisis has compounded other problems in the troubled case at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.
The new administration confronts decaying infrastructure and a military justice system moving at a glacial pace.
The Pentagon staged its first “Zoom Court” linking the courtroom at Guantánamo Bay to a secret location in the United States for a classified hearing in a military commissions case.
Lawyers paid by the Pentagon pursued the appeal on behalf of the released prisoner even as the State Department had a $4 million bounty out for him.
The latest judge assigned to the long-running death penalty case is based in Virginia and has had a military career focused on defense work, but he has been on the bench for less than two years.
Residents received little information about the source of the health scare that halted activities at the outpost in Cuba.
The president reversed Obama-era policies on detainees, leaving in limbo five prisoners who had been judged eligible for transfer to other countries. Their fate could rest on the 2020 election.
The recusal of Col. Stephen Keane from hearing the case at Guantánamo Bay adds another roadblock to restarting pretrial hearings in the long-running case.
Eric Kerska, whose daughter was deployed to the base, said he was alarmed by the isolation of young soldiers on their first tour as a coronavirus precaution.
Does the public care about the 40 remaining inmates with no obvious end to their imprisonment?
The pandemic has forced the longest absence of the humanitarian organization from the remote military prison in Cuba since it opened in January 2002.
With proceedings at Guantánamo Bay upended, chances are growing that the 20th anniversary will pass without the trial of the men accused of plotting the attack getting underway.
The Obama administration ran into a wall of political opposition when it tried. The former vice president rarely brings up the topic and has yet to draw up a strategy but says he shares the goal.
In a letter, they asked the Pentagon how the military is safeguarding troops and prisoners from an outbreak of Covid-19 given the base’s limited health care facilities.
With the Sept. 11 hearings delayed, prosecutors and defenders are looking for ways to let lawyers talk with the prisoners at Guantánamo Bay.
The trial of five men accused of plotting the attacks had been scheduled for early next year — almost 20 years after the hijackings. Now even that schedule won’t be met. Here are the reasons.