The plan for a “train and assist” mission would partly reverse President Donald J. Trump’s withdrawal of nearly all American ground forces from the country.
At least 10 people were killed in the latest attack on a training site that is jointly run by Turkish forces.
His four-year term expired, President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed signed a contentious law that critics fear could plunge the fragile country into renewed, possibly violent, turmoil.
The unusual review of the conclusions of the initial inquiry comes more than a year after the attack by the Shabab revealed security lapses at the base.
The legal basis for the war against Al Qaeda and its successors is aging and frayed, but how to replace it has long bedeviled lawmakers.
Requiring higher-level approval is a stopgap measure as officials review whether to tighten Trump-era targeting rules and civilian safeguards.
The authorities said an evacuation operation was still underway at the Afrik Hotel, with reports of at least two dead and 11 injured. A militant group, the Shabab, was believed to be behind the attack.
The coronavirus killed far fewer people in Africa than in Europe and the Americas, leading to a widespread perception that it was a disease of the West. Now, a tide of new cases on the continent is raising alarms.
The attack, claimed by Al Shabab, killed at least 10, including three Somali military commanders. Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble was on his way at the time.
Somalia accused its East African neighbor of meddling in its internal affairs, weeks before a crucial general election.
Somali presidential elections are scheduled in just a few months, war is erupting in neighboring Ethiopia, and Shebab militants are still strong. The timing, Somalis say, could not be worse.
While the number of troops — about 700 — is small, it is a continuation of President Trump’s efforts to withdraw the United States from what he has described as endless wars.
Acting Defense Secretary Christopher C. Miller met with troops and commanders in the region as turmoil bedevils the nation with approaching elections and an enduring threat from the Shabab.
The officer’s combat death came as President Trump considers pulling back on American operations in the region.
An elite commando unit supported by U.S. forces could fall apart, officials say, leaving the country more vulnerable to the Shabab and other terrorist groups.
Facing the end of his time in power, the president is pushing to accelerate withdrawals from counterterrorism conflicts. He campaigned on ending the longstanding wars.
President Trump’s new acting secretary of defense began a since-aborted diplomatic gambit last month to negotiate with a Somali terrorist group — drawing the ire of the secretary of state.
American drones and U.S. allies killed several Qaeda leaders and operatives in the past week. But the organization has “ingrained itself in local communities and conflicts,” according to the U.N.
The president’s demands to draw down forces in Afghanistan, Somalia and Syria seek to fulfill a campaign promise. But officials warn rapid troop reductions could bolster adversaries.
The verdicts came seven years after 67 people were killed by Shabab militants at the upscale Westgate Mall in Nairobi.
Draft rules for potential airstrikes, drawn up after a Shabab attack at a base in January, are said to be limited and would require Kenyan assent.
A new report calculates the number of people who fled because of wars fought by the United States since Sept. 11, 2001.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Shabab have carried out similar attacks across the Horn of Africa nation.
The extremist group Al Shabab has escalated assaults in recent months, even as the country confronts a host of other challenges, including containing the coronavirus.
Africa Command’s admission of the death comes in the wake of its slow move toward better accountability after years of criticism from human rights groups and lawmakers.
Devastating attacks, occurring almost daily and often in the capital, Mogadishu, have put a strain on the country’s fragile government.
Officials said two people were killed in the bombing at the facility in Mogadishu, Turkey’s largest overseas military base.
The conversion to Islam by Silvia Romano, an Italian aid worker kidnapped by a group said to be linked to the Shabab, was met with insults and threats.